Press release -
Norwegian reveals cultural city breaks are most popular for Brits in 2017
- Reykjavik most popular city to book tourist experiences
- Most travel activity bookings are placed in European cities ahead of other regions
- Fast track entry to European tourist attractions are increasingly popular
Low-cost airline Norwegian reveals some of the most popular travel experiences for British holidaymakers in 2017 in conjunction with the world’s largest travel activity website, GetYourGuide. Based on a sample of more than 10,000 bookings made by UK travellers, findings show that Brits are spending more to beat the queues for quicker access to cultural attractions such as museums, tours and historic landmarks in the new year.
Norwegian is rapidly expanding its low-cost flights from the UK with more than 10 new routes launched in the past year, flying 4.5 million UK passengers. Europe’s third largest low-cost carrier has partnered with GetYourGuide to offer exclusive offers and discounts on travel tours and activities to its five million members of the airline’s loyalty programme, Norwegian Reward.
In the first half of 2017, based on bookings made by UK-based GetYourGuide users and Norwegian Reward members –
- Brits will be flocking to Reykjavik to experience the Northern Lights and whale-watching tours, as the city has the most bookings for tours and activities.
- UK tourists are increasingly booking for convenience with skip the line entry to the Eiffel Tower in Paris, priority entry to the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin and “no wait” for the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel & St Peters all featuring in the top 10.
- Cultural attractions and city landmarks are among the most popular including tours of the Alhambra, Generalife and Nasrid Palaces in Spain and access to the Burj Khalifa in Dubai.
Top 10 most popular travel activities booked by Brits (between January and June 2017):
- Northern Lights Tour in Reykjavik
- Eiffel Tower Skip the line experience
- Whale Watching: 3-Hour Trip from Reykjavik
- Auschwitz-Birkenau Museum Full-Day Tour from Krakow
- Venice Marco Polo Airport Transfer: Shared Water Taxi
- Burj Khalifa Tickets: Level 124 & 125
- Paris: Moulin Rouge Show with Champagne
- Priority Entrance: Guinness Storehouse with Free Pint
- No Wait: Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel & St. Peter's
- Alhambra, Generalife, and Nasrid Palaces: Guided Tour
Top 10 cities where Brits have booked travel activities (between January and June 2017):
Brede Huser, Senior Vice President of Norwegian Reward said: “Our findings show that British tourists demand faster access to distinct cultural experiences that will enhance their holidays. European city breaks remain popular and Norwegian is about to start its biggest ever year in the UK, with more affordable flights on brand new aircraft giving passengers more choice. Customers and Norwegian Reward members can also look forward to receiving even more high quality value when booking lasting travel memories with GetYourGuide for 2017.”
UK passengers using Norwegian’s free inflight Wi-Fi on select European routes can receive travel experience booking suggestions with GetYourGuide at 35,000 feet and receive links to book within 30 minutes upon arrival.
Norwegian serves nine of the top 10 most popular destinations British travellers have booked tours and excursions including three direct flights per week from Gatwick to Reykjavik from £34.90.
The airline operates 65 routes from the UK to nearly 50 destinations worldwide including the only direct low-cost flights to the USA from £135.
Seats are available to book now at www.norwegian.com/uk or dial 0330 8280854 (ext. 1)
Norwegian in the UK:
- Norwegian first launched UK flights in 2003 and now operates from London Gatwick, Edinburgh, Birmingham and Manchester Airports to more than 40 destinations worldwide
- Norwegian is the third largest airline at London Gatwick, with 3.9 million yearly passengers, and with more than 700 pilots, cabin crew and staff working from its Gatwick base
- In 2014, Norwegian introduced the UK’s first low-cost, long haul flights to the U.S. - the airline now flies to 8 U.S destinations with fares from just £135 one way
- Norwegian is the only airline to offer free inflight WiFi on UK flights to more than 30 European destinations
- The airline has one of the youngest aircraft fleets in the world with an average age of 3.6 years, including next-generation Boeing 787 Dreamliners and Boeing 737-800s
- Norwegian has been voted ‘Europe’s best low-cost carrier’ by passengers for four consecutive years at SkyTrax World Airline Awards from 2013-2016, along with being awarded the ‘World's best low-cost long-haul airline’ in both 2015 and 2016