Press release -
Norwegian named ‘Airline of the Year’ at 2017 CAPA Aviation Awards for Excellence
Norwegian has been awarded ‘Airline of the Year’ at the 2017 CAPA Aviation Awards for Excellence during the CAPA Global Aviation & Corporate Travel Summit in London.
Norwegian was selected by the judging panel at the Centre for Aviation – CAPA for being at the forefront of low-cost long-haul travel, opening nearly 30 intercontinental routes in the past year between Europe, USA and Asia. CAPA also recognised Norwegian for its pioneering use of Boeing 737 MAX aircraft on underserved transatlantic routes which is creating demand in new markets.
Norwegian CEO Bjørn Kjos, was presented with the ‘Airline of the Year’ award by CAPA Executive Chairman Peter Harbison during a gala dinner at the Sofitel London Heathrow.
Bjørn Kjos, CEO at Norwegian said: “It’s an honour to collect the award for CAPA Airline of the Year on behalf of Norwegian.
“This achievement underpins the hard-work and support of all my dedicated colleagues who have contributed to Norwegian receiving a prestigious industry recognition once again.
“In our 15th year, I’m proud to see Norwegian’s combination of affordable fares, fuel-efficient aircraft and high-quality service recognised by our industry peers.
“This award motivates us even more to continue making affordable fares for everyone a reality as this is just the beginning of our global expansion.”
Peter Harbison, Executive ChairmanCAPA – Centre for Aviation said:"Through a combination of new technology, regulatory change and applying innovative strategies, Norwegian has irreversibly reshaped the way airlines, low-cost and otherwise, look at their network opportunities. The number of airports that fight for each additional aircraft that joins its fleet show the value of the Norwegian model to the aviation sector for short and long-haul flying. The demand is there and hopefully profitability will follow as Norwegian truly develops from its roots as a European regional airline into a global airline and recognised brand across the world. These global ambitions are exemplified in recent route expansion to Singapore and into the Argentine domestic market."
Notes to editors
For more information contact: pressUK@norwegian.com / +44(0)203 8746 100
About CAPA and the CAPA Aviation Awards for Excellence
Established in 1990, CAPA – Centre for Aviation is the leading provider of independent aviation market intelligence (publishing 500 stories every working day), analysis and data services, covering worldwide developments.
The CAPA Aviation Awards for Excellence have recognised strategic leadership in the aviation industry since 2002. Initially limited to Asia Pacific and the Middle East, the awards were expanded by CAPA in 2012 to include all regions. This year the Aviation Awards of Excellence were presented at two gala dinners – one for the global industry in Amsterdam and one for Asia Pacific in Singapore. For more information on the CAPA Aviation Awards for Excellence and CAPA Asia Pacific Aviation Awards for Excellence, including media queries, please contact email@example.com
Norwegian in the UK:
- Norwegian carries 5.2 million UK passengers each year from London Gatwick, Edinburgh, Birmingham and Manchester Airports to 50 destinations worldwide
- Norwegian is the third largest airline at London Gatwick, with 4.6 million yearly passengers, and with more than 800 UK-based pilots and cabin crew
- In 2014, Norwegian introduced the UK’s first low-cost, long haul flights to the U.S. - the airline now flies to 7 U.S destinations with fares from just £139 one way
- Norwegian is the only airline to offer free inflight WiFi on UK flights to more than 30 European destinations
- The airline has one of the youngest aircraft fleets in the world with an average age of 3.6 years, including next-generation Boeing 787 Dreamliners and Boeing 737-800s
- Norwegian has been voted ‘Europe’s best low-cost carrier’ by passengers for four consecutive years at SkyTrax World Airline Awards from 2013-2016, along with being awarded the ‘World's best low-cost long-haul airline’ in both 2015 and 2016