Press release -
Norwegian marks first anniversary at Birmingham with 30,000 seats on sale from £29.90
Low-cost airline Norwegian is marking its one year anniversary since taking off from Birmingham Airport for the first time by increasing flights to Malaga for the summer and putting on sale the first of its winter flights for 2016 from £29.90 today.
Norwegian is the fastest growing airline at Birmingham Airport having launched more new routes than any other airline over the past year. Over 125,000 passengers have flown Norwegian to five destinations from Birmingham - Barcelona, Madrid, Malaga and since November, Tenerife and Gran Canaria.
From June, Norwegian will increase its service to Malaga with four weekly flights in time for the summer getaway. Flights to Malaga and Tenerife are on sale first for the winter as Norwegian continues its huge expansion in the UK. Holidaymakers can also benefit from free inflight Wi-Fi on brand new aircraft keeping passengers connected at 35,000ft.
Thomas Ramdahl, Chief Commercial Officer at Norwegian said: “Our first year at Birmingham has flown by and has seen Norwegian become the fastest growing carrier at the airport. Our unique combination of high quality, low fares and free Wi-Fi is setting us apart as passengers in Birmingham continue to take advantage of our services. With a huge catchment of passengers in the West Midlands, we’re helping holidaymakers take off with affordable flights now on sale.”
William Pearson, Aviation Development Director at Birmingham Airport said: “Norwegian has excelled at Birmingham Airport over the last year. This rapid expansion has earned Norwegian the title of our fastest growing airline. This is not surprising as Norwegian offers an excellent and affordable product to passengers combined with a growing choice of popular Spanish destinations including Madrid, Barcelona, Malaga, Tenerife and Gran Canaria.
“We congratulate the airline on its outstanding 12 months here and we look forward to seeing further exciting new routes and services. We are confident that Norwegian will go from strength-to-strength and continue seeing increasing demand from passengers for seats on its expanding list of top destinations.”
Norwegian first launched flights from Birmingham in March 2015 and has grown to become the 16th largest airline operating at Birmingham Airport.
Europe’s third largest low-cost carrier is the only airline in the UK offering direct low-cost flights to the U.S. from its Gatwick hub to destinations including New York, Boston and San Francisco-Oakland from £135 one way.
Norwegian first launched UK flights in 2003 and is Europe’s third largest low-cost airline. The carrier operates from London Gatwick, Edinburgh, Birmingham and Manchester Airports to 34 destinations worldwide.
- Norwegian is the third largest airline at London Gatwick, with 3.9 million yearly passengers, and with 130 pilots and 300 cabin crewworking from its Gatwick base
- In 2014, Norwegian introduced the UK’s first low-cost, long haul flights to the U.S. flying direct from Gatwick to New York, Fort Lauderdale and Los Angeles
- Norwegian is the only airline to offer free inflight WiFi on UK flights to more than 30 European destinations
- The airline has one of the youngest aircraft fleets in the world with an average age of four years, including next-generation Boeing 787 Dreamliners and Boeing 737-800s
- Norwegian has been voted ‘Europe’s best low-cost carrier’ by passengers for three consecutive years at SkyTrax World Airline Awards, and was also the first airline to be awarded the ‘World's best low-cost long-haul airline’ in 2015 by SkyTrax.