Press release -
Norwegian continues to expand at Edinburgh Airport with new flight to Tenerife
Low-cost airline Norwegian will launch a brand new route from Edinburgh to Tenerife this week as it continues to expand at the airport.
From Thursday 29th October Norwegian will operate two flights per week to the Spanish island of Tenerife with fares starting from £59.90 one way. Flights will depart on Thursdays and Saturdays onboard new Boeing 737 aircraft – which provide free Wi-Fi for all passengers.
The new route means that Norwegian is adding around 40,000 affordable seats between Scotland and Tenerife over the next year. Norwegian already offers low-cost routes to Copenhagen, Malaga, Oslo and Stockholm from Edinburgh Airport carrying over 150,000 passengers annually.
Timetable of new flights:
|Departs Edinburgh||Arrives Tenerife|
Thomas Ramdahl, Commercial Director for Norwegian, said: “Norwegian’s combination of low-cost, high-quality flights has proved a hit with Scottish holidaymakers and we are pleased to introduce another year round route from Edinburgh Airport. Tenerife remains one of the most popular holiday getaways for Scottish travellers, and compliments the range of city breaks we currently offer to Copenhagen, Oslo and Stockholm.”
Gordon Dewar, Chief Executive of Edinburgh Airport, said: “This new direct flight from Scotland’s capital to Tenerife is a massive vote of confidence for Edinburgh Airport; Norwegian Airlines share our commitment to improving connectivity and together we are offering a great new route between Scotland and Tenerife – which has been a favourite holiday destination of Scots for decades.
“Edinburgh Airport had over one million passengers through the doors last month - and in every one of the last five months – we are continuing to grow, create jobs and make a positive contribution for Scotland’s economy.”
Norwegian also offer the UK’s only low-cost, long-haul flights to America with fares from £149 - passengers travelling from Edinburgh can now take advantage of these services more easily thanks to a new service called ‘Gatwick Connects’.
This innovative booking system enables passengers to combine a low-cost flight from Edinburgh with Norwegian’s flights from Gatwick in a single transaction – saving money and protecting the passenger in the event of a missed connection. Norwegian currently offer flights from London Gatwick to New York, Los Angeles, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando and Puerto Rico from £149 one way.
Norwegian in the UK
- Norwegian first launched UK flights in 2003 and now operates from London Gatwick, Edinburgh, Birmingham and Manchester Airports to 34 destinations worldwide.
- In 2014, Norwegian introduced the UK’s first low-cost, long haul flights to the U.S. flying directly from Gatwick to New York, Fort Lauderdale and Los Angeles
- Norwegian is the only airline to offer free in-flight WiFi on UK flights to 29 European destinations
- The airline has one of the youngest aircraft fleets in the world with an average age of four years, including next-generation Boeing 787 Dreamliners and Boeing 737-800s
- Norwegian has been voted ‘Europe’s best low-cost carrier’ by passengers for three consecutive years at SkyTrax World Airline Awards, and was also the first airline to be awarded the ‘World's best low-cost long-haul airline’ in 2015 by SkyTrax.